Saturday, September 12, 2009

Neither- nor

“Neither” is a singular adjective and can be paired with “nor”. When using neither-nor, you are saying that not the first object and not the second object are behaving in a certain way.

Example:

-Neither Larry nor Suze went to the beach. (Larry didn't go to the beach, Suze didn't go to the beach)

- For some people, going to the local library is neither interesting nor enjoyable. (going to the local library is not interesting and not enjoyable)


X: I don't like broccoli

Y: Neither do I (means:I don't like broccoli too”. You may hear some people say “Me neither,” this is colloquial and not grammatically correct. You wouldn't say “Me don't like broccoli”)


Usually, either-or and neither-nor are used for mentioning two items, but sometimes they appear with three items.

- Neither snow, nor rain, nor heat can stop me.


An older form for this correlative was nor-nor:

- Nor sun nor wind will ever strive to kiss you. (Shakespeare)


You can use “nor” independently. Examples:

- She will not go to university, nor will she look for a job.

- I have never seen him since then, nor do I expect to see him again.

- I didn't murder anybody, nor will I.

Take a look to the examples above, auxiliary verbs are placed before the subjects. Therefore, you wouldn't say “I will not go to the dentist, nor I will go shopping.” Instead, say “I will not go to the dentist, nor will I go shopping.”


Sometimes instead of “neither”, a negative form may function with the first item. In such case, “or” or “nor” may appear with the last item.

- Bella owns no money (n)or jewelry.


Using “never”, “seldom”, or “rarely” in the first clause:

- He has never (or “seldom”, “rarely”) spoken a bad word to his wife (n)or to anyone else.


The use of “nor” in the sentences above reinforces the negation.


No comments:

Post a Comment