Monday, September 7, 2009

Critical Age Hypothesis

Children under 12 years old will be able to learn any languages like the native speakers. When an American family lives in France, for instance, then they have a baby who then socializes with his French friends until, say, 7 years old, he will be able to speak French like a native speaker. This happens because in children under 12 years old, there is no lateralization. That is, the two hemispheres are not “separated” yet to be given their own function. They both are flexible, they can accept any commands. That is why patient with stroke under 12 can get 100% recovered in acquiring language, while adults just have little chance to get 100% recovered.

After 12, lateralization process begins. The brain will not be as flexible as before. Ability to speak like a native will decrease. That is why an adult learning foreign language will almost sound like a foreigner, even though he stays for a long time in the country where the language is used in everyday life. He may master the grammar rules, but still his accent will sound like a foreigner.

4 comments:

  1. so...ehm...well well well,,i've a hope my future children will get a chance to live in england, so they can speak english as fluent as native speaker.amiin...kekekex...

    oho,bout ur posting..i have a friend who grew up in australia. she spent her childhood there.till now, her english is still wonderful on my view of thinkin...so, i'm with u unnie...

    btw,i have a request 4 u..would u mind posting article bout speaking development 4 non-native speaker??actually,i face little bit difficulty to arrange what i'm thinkin to be spoken in english fluently.would u mind helping me solve this problem?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, u r my lil sister! thx 4 visiting & commenting.
    this is the material u'll face in 4th semester, insha' Allaah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh,,,nice posting, and nice English...

    May be you're right about language learning ability. Are you from English major?

    I have little curiosity. You know I love studying language although I am from Industrial Engineering.
    One day, I met some arabian guys. He said to me that I sing Arabic songs exactly like I am native speaker. hahahahaa.. I like arabic songs from middle east by the way. Is it because I have been learning arabic since I was little child?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abdulbasyir: thank you 4 ur support. Yes, i'm from English Dept. Masha'Allaah, u learnt Arabic since ur childhood? No wonder if u speak Arabic well then. I learnt English since 4 years old. My dad taught me.

    ReplyDelete